Hey potato lovers. This recipe will be a bit different. I found a few sweet potato recipes on the net and this one I liked best. Why? Hmmm…. since I dedicated this blog to mashed potatoes recipes, maybe it has something to do with the fact that this is a mashed sweet potatoes recipe. lol. Or maybe not. OK, let’s start, what do we need?
- 4 pounds sweet potatoes
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoons cumin seeds (if you hate cumin you can skip it, I hate it)
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 2 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper (freshly ground)
- First turn on the oven and set it to 350 degrees F (180 C). Yes, with this mashed sweet potatoes recipe we will be using an oven and we will not be cooking potatoes in water.
- Now take the potatoes and pierce each one of them a few times with the fork. This will make little holes that will let the water evaporate and heat penetrate the potatoes. Tun your sweet potatoes on the oven rack and roast them. How do you know they are done? It's the same thing as with cooking them. Actually - potatoes are always done when they become soft and tender. You can test this by piercing them again with the fork or a knife. Generally it should take 45 minutes to 1 hour for potatoes to be done.
- Now take them from the oven and let them cool down for a while so you don't burn yourself when you peel them and cut them.
- minutes later...
- OK, now peel them and cut them into pieces. How big should the pieces be? It doesn't matter :) we will be smashing the sweet potatoes anyway. Put sweet potatoes into a bowl, add butter and smash them with a wire smasher, potato ricer...etc... You can leave some lumps and bumps if you like, or you can make them smooth.
- And to finish this of - add the rest of the ingredients. Add chili powder, ground cumin, ginger, maple syrup, salt and pepper. Use a big spoon or something to mix this into your mashed sweet potatoes and you are done.
Rate This Recipe: